Steps for Students | Steps for Supervisors
Enter and Approve weekly, even daily!
With the new HRS (Human Resource System) timesheet, it’s best to enter and approve work time at least weekly, even daily. Entering and approving hours frequently is helpful because:
- you are more likely to remember the time accurately,
- it evens the workload for the payroll staff, which no longer has to review two full weeks of information at once, and
- it helps the payroll staff spot funding errors earlier in the week.
- as we get used to checking the Work Record tab of MyUW for recent shifts, entry and approval of hours becomes less of an ordeal.
- Approving hours before the end of a pay period doesn’t mean you can’t make corrections; any shift that the employee has changed will appear again on the supervisor’s list for hours needing approval. After approval, that shift disappears again from the supervisor’s list.
- Thus, frequent approval, especially in the days before the system calculates paychecks, ensures that supervisors catch last-minute straggler shifts which students may have updated a few hours earlier.
Wait a few hours between submitting and approving time worked.
After a student or supervisor submits new or corrected work times, it’s necessary to wait a few hours until HRS runs its Time Administration update thrice daily at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., and overnight. After this refresh of the system, any new or corrected hours will appear on the supervisor’s list for approval. The update process can take a few hours, so the new submissions may not appear promptly at these three times.
- Before noon on Mondays, log in to the My UW portal, http://my.wisc.edu, with your NetID and password.
- Choose the Work Record tab along the top, then find the portlet (small window) for Time and Absence or HRS Self-Service Links, then the Time Entry tab.
- Click the Timesheet link and enter your NetID and password a second time.
- In the timesheet, Check the “View by” and “Date” fields to ensure that you are looking at the correct pay period. Click “refresh” after any changes to these fields.
- Enter your punches (in and out times) in the first and fourth columns, formatted as, e.g., 2:25 PM or as 24-hour time, 1425. Use the two middle columns only if you stop working to go to class or a meal and then return to work a second shift the same day.
More details: These instructions summarize a more complete explanation, with illustrations, by the U.W. Division of Information Technology (DoIT), which explains how to add more than two shifts in a day: https://helpdesk.wisc.edu/hrs/page.php?id=16896
Training: For a short training presentation, see https://uwservice.wisc.edu/hrs/. Log in using your UW NetID and password, choose Employees, Employee Self-Service Training Page, then Student Timesheet.
- Before noon on Tuesdays, log in to the My UW portal, http://my.wisc.edu, with your NetID and password.
- Choose the Work Record tab along the top, then find the portlet (small window) for HRS Self-Service Links, then the Approve Payable Time link, which will take you, through a second login, to an HRS screen.
(Note that on the Work Record page, the Manager Time and Approval portlet calls your attention to your employees who have entered hours awaiting your approval. Employees who haven’t entered hours won’t be on that list yet. You may be the backup supervisor to some of these people. To approve those hours, use the HRS Self Service Links portlet, #2, above.)
- Select your supervisees by clicking the spyglass icon on the GroupID line; the codes will list employees for whom you’re supervisor and those for whom you’re the backup.
- Check the dates you’re viewing, then click the yellow Get Employees button.
- Click on your employee’s name to see how many hours per day he or she worked. To see the actual times of day, click on Adjust reported time. You may correct the times (see student instructions, above), or ask the student to do so. IF you’ve made changes, click the yellow submit button at the bottom. But if all was OK as presented, skip submitting and instead near the bottom of the page choose “Return to Approval Details.”
- Check the boxes in front of each shift you approve of, then click the yellow Approve button. Below that button is “return to approval summary” if you have more people to review.
- In most screens, check the “View by” and “Date” fields to make sure that you are seeing all the relevant work shifts.
- New funding information: Communicate changes to your student’s salary funding as early as possible to your payroll person (Laurie B. or Todd)
Training: For a short training presentation, see https://uwservice.wisc.edu/hrs/. Log in using your UW NetID and password, choose Managers, Manager Self-Service Training Page, then Approval of Employee Time.