The Poetic Side of Ecology

Art and science have a long history of entanglements from Leonardo da Vinci’s beautiful anatomical drawings to the revolutionary essays of Henry David Thoreau and Aldo Leopold. After all, both practices are about understanding ourselves and our surroundings. In keeping with this tradition, the Western Aspen Alliance has launched a new feature called WAA Creates. The most recent newsletter (Volume 6(4), November 2015) features a poem by one of our own, Amy Flansburg.

WAA_Tremblings

AF_Poem

This entry was posted in Archived News and tagged , , by Jennifer Riehl. Bookmark the permalink.

About Jennifer Riehl

I have a BS in Biology (Texas Lutheran University), MS in Molecular Biology (SUNY Albany) and PhD in Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology (Michigan Tech). My research interests reside largely in the field of ecological genetics/genomics. I am interested in understanding the underlying genetic architecture of adaptive traits in forest trees in general. I also have an intense interest in how science and natural resource management policy interact, from drivers of NIPF land management choices or the incorporation of controversial scientific topics (e.g., species concepts or hybridization) into bureaucratic structures. I also love to travel and explore new places. On my downtime I like to attend musical events from rock concerts to symphony orchestra performances or see new films.