Ned publishes aspen freeze study results

Ned Rubert-Nason has successfully published the results from his Aspen Freeze Study in Plant, Cell and Environment. The study showed that vernal freeze damage to aspen alters phytochemistry and plant-insect interactions (indicated by faster reproduction of aphids on trees with prior damage).

These results suggest that even a single damaging vernal freeze event can have long term consequences for plant-insect interactions through effects on plant growth and chemistry. Additionally, variable responses among genotypes suggests that increases in the frequency of vernal freeze events, like those predicted to occur in temperate regions, could influence natural selection. 

Much research has focused on immediate effects of climate change consequences for forest tree health, so this study helps fill a gap concerning cascading effects on trees and their associated communities as a result of a changing climate.

This entry was posted in News by Jennifer Riehl. Bookmark the permalink.

About Jennifer Riehl

I have a BS in Biology (Texas Lutheran University), MS degrees in Molecular Biology (SUNY Albany) and Environmental Policy (Michigan Tech) and PhD in Forest Molecular Genetics and Biotechnology (Michigan Tech). My research interests reside largely in the field of ecological genetics/genomics. I am interested in understanding the underlying genetic architecture of adaptive traits in forest trees in general. I also have an intense interest in how science and natural resource management policy interact, from drivers of NIPF land management choices or the incorporation of controversial scientific topics (e.g., species concepts or hybridization) into bureaucratic structures. I also love to travel and explore new places. On my downtime I like to attend musical events from rock concerts to symphony orchestra performances or see new films.