What roles do fungi play in pollen preservation? Are bees fungivores?
- Objective 1: Assess incidence and magnitude of omnivory among native bees using isotopic and phospholipid analyses of bee groups.
- Objective 2: Determine mechanism(s) by which fungicides may hurt native bee populations.
- Do larval bees eat significant amounts of fungi during development?
- Do fungi in pollen provisions inhibit bacterial growth?
- When fungicides are applied to flowers, does the incidence of entombed pollen increase?
- Can larval bees develop on entombed pollen?
Photo credits: A. Higgins bees under microscope, L. Fenner bumble bee visiting cranberry