An effective and comprehensive integrated tick management program should consider these five strategies:
- Surveillance– to detect tick infestations and identify tick habitat
- Landscape Management– to reduce the amount of tick habitat and make it more manageable for the landowner.
- Targeted Chemical Control– with host and habitat-targeted acaricide applications
- Personal Protective Measures– including use of repellents, protective clothing and frequent tick checks.
- Cultural Practices– modifying behaviors or activities in order to increase awareness, knowledge and risk perceptions about ticks and tick-borne diseases and reduce the risk of tick-borne diseases in both humans and animals.